Reflections from Jeff LaDuca, 2015 Pilgrim

Jiberish, Jiberish, Jiberish.
That’s what I heard when I went to mass in the Dominican Republic.   I don’t mean any disrespect to those of you that speak Spanish.   But I don’t, and that’s all I understood as mass started.  But as mass progressed I realized that there was an opening prayer, a first reading and responsorial psalm, a second reading and a gospel, and a homily.   There was the creed and a collection (always a collection).   There was a liturgy of the Eucharist, the Our Father, Eucharist, and a closing.  And as I looked around at the strangers around me I was struck by the fact that there were “old church ladies” (no offense), young families and mothers trying to coral their toddlers, school age children, and men, some of whom were dragged by their wives and families.   They all had eyes, and a nose, and ears and a mouth.  They all had arms and legs, and aside from being much tanner than we are, they looked like us.   And while after several days in the community I had come to understand that several of them had walked a mile or more to be there, or had taken a motor scooter, maybe three or four on one bike, or had rode their horse or mule, they were there worshiping the same way we do.   And while some of them had not eaten 3 full meals in a day, or ever known a hot shower.  And some lived with a single 40W light bulb in their homes, if they were lucky enough to have electricity.   Some came from homes with a bathroom and a toilet, but many lived with outhouses and buckets to flush whatever toilets they may be lucky enough to have.  They were all worshiping the same we do every week.   And they were happy.  It struck me that no matter where you are, God is there with you and our faith is universal.  
As missionaries to the Dominican Republic, we were there to clothe and feed the poor.  And while that is good, Fr. Ron and his ongoing mission to spiritually feed the people of these communities is equally important.  I pray that we as a faith community will continue to remember our brothers and sisters in Don Juan and the surrounding areas as they gather on Sundays and worship as we do.  And that we continue to support their spiritual and physical needs with our generosity. 
In the long run, maybe I actually understood more than I had initially realized. 
Gracias por su atencion.  Salud y vaya con dios. 
Jeff LaDuca

No comments:

Comments - click bulleted comment to read